From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Title: Step by Step (Khutwa, Khutwa) Filmmaker: Ousamma Mohammad Date: 1979 Country: Syria Duration: 22 min Other recommended films: Stars in Broad Daylight (1988) and Sacrifices (2002) When the food is ready just call me Stretched out in my hut Greater than me O Hafez (x2) Bless your father and his dad (x2) Greater than me O Hafez (x2) Three roses for a fine lad You’re the master, I’m your slave x2 Here’s my handkerchief and a wave God willing we ...
There is a widely held perception that the Moroccan king Mohammed VI is beyond the reach of criticism. That view was quickly shattered in light of the “Daniel Gate” scandal following the king’s pardon of a convicted Spanish pedophile, Daniel Galván Viña, in the midst of ...
There is a genre of satirical theatre from the Arab world that is correctly presumed dead. Famous among millions, Egyptian plays like Madrasat al-Mushaghibeen [The School of Criminals], Shahed Ma Shafsh Haga [A Witness Who Saw Nothing], and Al ‘Eyal Kebret [The Kids Have Grown ...
What is Vox Populi?
Vox Populi features popular artistic and aesthetic expressions that emanate from the Middle East. It seeks to highlight silenced and/or underrepresented cultural forms and conduits while challenging official and mainstream cultural production and narratives about the region. In addition to showcasing the independent work of ordinary citizens and groups—which includes street art, graffiti, popular non-commercial songs, hip hop, DIY YouTube series, etc.—the page aims to capture new and changing forms, spaces, and avenues of political socialization and mobilization. Through interviews, analysis, individual and institutional profiles, video snippets, films, music videos, and visual and street art, Vox Populi communicates and showcases important trends about/from the region that are often left out in what is otherwise serious analytical treatments.
Featured material does not necessarily constitute an endorsement by Jadaliyya. Rather, it reflects trends, patterns, and emergent spaces for alternative forms of expression.
If you wish to contribute to this page, send your material to VoxPopuli@Jadaliyya.com
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (March 22)
- Media on Media Roundup (March 21)
- Joint Statement Regarding the anti-Semitic, anti-Black, anti-Arab and anti-Muslim Posters on UIC’s Campus
- Egypt Media Roundup (March 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (March 13-19)
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (February 2017)
- New Texts Out Now: Karine Walther, Sacred Interests: The United States and the Islamic World, 1821-1921
- Palestine Media Roundup (March 19)
- مختارات من الصحافة العربية 17 آذار
- المنظمات الأهلية الفلسطينية: مقابلة لمجلة الوضع مع طارق دعنا
- Text of Resignation Letter by ESCWA Executive Secretary Rima Khalaf
- MESA Membership Passes Bylaw Amendment Removing 'Non-Political' Clause and Affirming 501(c)3 Status
- UN Report Establishes Israeli Apartheid; Fallout Begins
- Between Slow and Sudden Death in Turkey
- Call for Action: Solidarity with Purged Academics for Peace in Turkey
- دورنا في صناعة الظلام
- Critical Currents in Islam Media Roundup (January 23- March 5)
- Syria Media Roundup (March 15)