From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Title: Step by Step (Khutwa, Khutwa) Filmmaker: Ousamma Mohammad Date: 1979 Country: Syria Duration: 22 min Other recommended films: Stars in Broad Daylight (1988) and Sacrifices (2002) When the food is ready just call me Stretched out in my hut Greater than me O Hafez (x2) Bless your father and his dad (x2) Greater than me O Hafez (x2) Three roses for a fine lad You’re the master, I’m your slave x2 Here’s my handkerchief and a wave God willing we ...
There is a widely held perception that the Moroccan king Mohammed VI is beyond the reach of criticism. That view was quickly shattered in light of the “Daniel Gate” scandal following the king’s pardon of a convicted Spanish pedophile, Daniel Galván Viña, in the midst of ...
There is a genre of satirical theatre from the Arab world that is correctly presumed dead. Famous among millions, Egyptian plays like Madrasat al-Mushaghibeen [The School of Criminals], Shahed Ma Shafsh Haga [A Witness Who Saw Nothing], and Al ‘Eyal Kebret [The Kids Have Grown ...
What is Vox Populi?
Vox Populi features popular artistic and aesthetic expressions that emanate from the Middle East. It seeks to highlight silenced and/or underrepresented cultural forms and conduits while challenging official and mainstream cultural production and narratives about the region. In addition to showcasing the independent work of ordinary citizens and groups—which includes street art, graffiti, popular non-commercial songs, hip hop, DIY YouTube series, etc.—the page aims to capture new and changing forms, spaces, and avenues of political socialization and mobilization. Through interviews, analysis, individual and institutional profiles, video snippets, films, music videos, and visual and street art, Vox Populi communicates and showcases important trends about/from the region that are often left out in what is otherwise serious analytical treatments.
Featured material does not necessarily constitute an endorsement by Jadaliyya. Rather, it reflects trends, patterns, and emergent spaces for alternative forms of expression.
If you wish to contribute to this page, send your material to VoxPopuli@Jadaliyya.com
"Derrière ces chantiers démesurés et le déploiement des moyens de contrôle, à l’abri des regards, des adolescents et des enfants tentent le départ pour le voisin européen."click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- On Trump
- The Modern Language Association and the 2017 Vote on the Academic Boycott of Israel
- A Critical Retrospective on Obama’s Rhetoric of New Beginnings
- Critical Readings in Political Economy: Mechanisms of Imperialism
- Jadaliyya Monthly Edition (December 2016)
- مؤسسات القدس الفلسطينية: حصار تمويلي وعجز السلطة والمنظمة
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (January 17)
- Yemen's War [Ongoing Post]
- Egypt Media Roundup (January 16)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (January 9-15)
- Press Release: Bahrain Executes Three Men
- A Damp Squib in Paris
- قصص قصيرة من الأرجنتين
- بيان: بشأن طب النزاعات
- Time for Sweden to Take the Lead for Peace
- Palestine Media Roundup (January 14)
- Syria Media Roundup (January 13)
- The Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Movement - A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Omar Barghouti
- Quick Thoughts: Khalid Albaih on Sudan on the Eve of 2017
- New Texts Out Now: Jean Pierre Frey, Les voies erratiques de l'urbanisation. Etre architecte et devenir urbaniste en Afrique du Nord